Cypress County provides fire/rescue services to the entire county. Fire halls are located in the hamlets of Jenner, Hilda, Irvine, Schuler, Seven Persons,Walsh, and the Town of Redcliff (Box Springs). In addition, the County also has fire trucks located in CFB Suffield, Cypress Hills Provincial Park Elkwater, the City of Medicine Hat and in the summer time, near Onefour..
Fire permits are required for ALL open burning on a year round basis. They are FREE! Exceptions are recreational fires and burn barrels with a fitted screen. Fire permits are valid for 7 days from the date of issue.
- Alberta Fire Bans
- Fire Ban Levels
- Fire Permits - Regulations & Information
- Fireworks Fire Code
- Fire Safety Tips
- Fireworks Permit
- Items you can and can't burn
Summary of Cypress County Fire Suppression Services Bylaw
- The County is responsible for fighting and controlling fires as identified in two acts, the Forest and Prairie Protection Act and the Municipal Government Act.
- Fire suppression personnel in Cypress County are primarily made up of volunteers with various levels of training.
- The county is a vast and sparsely populated geographical region over 13000km2 which ultimately results in longer response times.
- There is usually an inadequate supply of water to offensively suppress fires.
- As a result, the county does not and cannot provide services at a level similar or equal to urban municipalities.
What it means:
- Any structure or vehicle fires that occur may result in a total loss and fire suppression efforts can only attempt to provide protection to secondary exposures and attempt to prevent the fire from spreading.
- The county has mutual aid agreements with all surrounding municipalities to either have them assist us or for the county to assist when required.
- There are methods in place to recover fire fighting costs from the person or persons who caused the fire and for responding to dangerous goods spills and vehicle collisions.
- The County monitors the dryness levels of the grasslands and when it reaches dangerous levels a Fire Control Order is implemented prohibiting the lighting of fires.
- About Us