The agricultural services department receives direction from the Agricultural Service Board (ASB). This department is responsible for administering and developing programs to compliment the Agricultural Service Board Act, the Weed Control Act, the Agricultural Pests Act and the Soil Conservation Act.

They are also responsible for assisting local producers with Environmental Farm Plans, and with the application process for Canadian Agriculture Partnership program.

Other areas of responsibility include hamlet park maintenance, brush control in rights-of-way and agricultural education and awareness.


Livestock Tax deferral Provision

Cypress County has been added to the Livestock Tax Deferral Provision, for details of how the provision works please use the links below.

Crop Insurance Program

The governments of Canada and Alberta, through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, are adjusting the crop insurance program, for more information please visit the below link:
ASB Year End Reports   

At the end of each year the ASB Chairman prepares a report on the ASB's activities. To view these reports please visit the Agricultural Services Board folder on the Documents page

ASB News Newsletter

Cypress County's ASB, in partnership with the County of Forty Mile, publishes a newsletter highlighting new and interesting subject matter affecting agriculture. To view these newsletters please visit the Agricultural Services Board folder on the Documents page.

ASB Agendas & Minutes

Agendas and Minutes for ASB meetings can be found on the Documents Page under Agendas & Minutes > Agricultural Services Board

Agricultural Service Board Contact Info


AAAF Memorial Bursary

The bursary is intended for students continuing their education at a College or University. Students must be enrolled in an agricultural or environmental science program. For more info and the application form visit the AAAF website.

Agricultural Service Board Bursary

  • Bursaries are available to students wishing to continue their education at a College or University. Students must be enrolled in an Agricultural related program.
  • Two $1,000 bursaries are available in each calendar year. Applications, with all supporting documentation, must be received by the Agricultural Supervisor by September 30th of each year.
  • More information and then application form, can be found here.

Canadian Agricultural Partnership

The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a five-year, $3 billion federal-provincial-territorial investment in the agriculture, agri-food and agri-based products sector that began in April 2018. In Alberta, the Canadian Agricultural Partnership represents a federal - provincial investment of $406 million in strategic programs and initiatives for the agricultural sector. For more information visit the CAP website.
2015 Crop Variety Guides
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry in conjunction with Agriculture Canada have released their cereal variety guides for 2015. These guides can assist producers in selecting varieties of crops that will offer resistance to certain diseases.

Environmental Farm Plans and Canadian Agricultural Partnership
If you are interested in doing an Environmental Farm Plan for you operation or would like to apply for Canadian Agricultural Partnership program, you can contact the Cypress County office and Lisa Sulz can assist you with the process.

Hamlet Parks Maintenance
Cypress County’s Ag Department is responsible for mowing the grass and basic maintenance of the parks and green spaces in Desert Blume and Irvine.  All other hamlets have community associations that are responsible for maintaining their parks.

Here are some links to agriculturally related programs and information:
The Environmental Stewardship Award recognizes cattle producers whose natural resource stewardship practices contribute to the environment and enhance productivity and profitability.
The Norway Rat is designated as a pest under the Agricultural Pests Act and as such must be destroyed when found.

If you think that you have seen a rat all residents are encouraged to contact the County.

Since Cypress County borders Saskatchewan, we have a contract with the Province stating that we will inspect all possible rat habitat within 6 miles of the Saskatchewan border. These inspections take place in November and December.

Information on Alberta's Rat Control Program can be found here, and information on identifying rats is also available here.

If anyone thinks that they’ve seen a rat they are encouraged to call the Cypress County office at (403) 526-2888.

Cypress County offers Grain Bag & Twine recycling free of charge to producers based within the County.

Grain Bags Recycling

  • The producer contacts the County regarding the program and registers how many bags they have to be recycled.
  • Producers are required to stretch out their bags and ensure they are cleaned of any big clumps of grain prior to County staff arriving at location. County staff will bring the grain bag roller to where the grain bags are located and assist the producer in the rolling and recycling process.
  • Grain bags are then loaded into a trailer with the assistance of the producer and transported by the County to be recycled.
For more information please see the Policy here, or call the Ag Team on (403) 526-2888
Grain Bags

Twine Recycling

  • Pickup twine recycling bags at the County office in Dunmore, or at any of the transfer sites.
  • Bag twine.
  • Drop off at a transfer site.
Cypress County has several pieces of rental equipment available to rate payers.

To check the availability of any of the equipment or to book the equipment for use please contact the County office.

15 Foot Land Roller (can be filled with water)
20 Foot Land Roller with Levelling Blade (can be filled with water)
Two x 14 foot Haybuster No-Till Seed Drills
Cattle Scale
Exit Applicator
Magpie Trap
 RFID Tag Reader
Shelterbelt Mulch Applicator
Skunk and Raccoon Traps
Pasture Pipeline Plow
Tree planters

Roadside (from the edge of the road to the fence line) spraying is done to keep weeds in the ditch from spreading into the adjacent field. The weeds that are primarily targeted are those that are listed in the regulations of the Weed Control Act. We do not blanket spray the ditches, but rather spot spray individual plants or patches of weeds.

The County’s roadsides are sprayed on a rotational basis, with 1/3 of the county’s roads being sprayed each year. Any newly constructed roads are sprayed, as needed, for at least 3 years, or until the grass is sufficiently established to out compete most weeds.

Herbicides that are used include, Milestone, Clearview, 2,4-D, Glyphosate, Garlon, and Tordon 22K.

Cypress County does not allow organic producers to use any part of the municipal right-of-way for a buffer zone. Organic producers are encouraged to contact the county to alert the Ag Services department of their organic status. Staff will do their best to ensure that they are careful in those areas, but the county reserves the right to control weeds in the right-of-way as needed.

For more information please contact the Cypress County  office.

Municipalities in Southern Alberta partnered with Farming Smarter to produce a series of articles on soil conservation. The articles can also be found on the Farming Smarter website.

  1. Yes, blowing soil breaks a law
  2. Dollars blowing in the wind
  3. Economics of agricultural blow-dirt
  4. Don’t blow good neighbor relations
  5. Tillage is problematic on the prairies
New Prohibited Noxious Weed Has Shown up in the Area!
Flowering Rush is a cattail like perennial of freshwater wetlands. It can grow on water margins or as a submerged plant in deeper water. Weed Inspectors are aware of the plant's existence of along the South Saskatchewan River. At this point it is not believed that this weed exists in any great amount, so controlling it quickly when it is found would be ideal.  

Since this plant grows in or in close proximity to water hand removal is basically the only option. Cutting below the water surface can suppress the plants but will need to be repeated. Hand digging is an option, but care must be taken to remove all parts of the plant since root fragments can break off and drift in the water, causing another infestation. Plant matter, once removed can be disposed of in the landfill.

The County asks that, should you find any flowering rush on your property, you should dispose of it immediately. As a courtesy, informing ASB staff of its presence will enable the County to track the locations of where the plant is. If you are unable to deal with the weed on your own please feel free to contact the County and staff can provide assistance.

For more information on identifying and controlling the plant please see the Alberta Invasive Species Council fact sheet for Flowering Rush.

Some photos in an identification fact sheet.