This webpage is for online payments of campground fees for Cavan Lake and Sandy Point.
For more information on the campgrounds, which are open from May 1 to September 30, please visit our Where to Visit page. Currently, there are 60 power sites and 18 non-power (standard) sites at Cavan Lake and 15 non-power sites at Sandy Point.
Payment is only to be made at the time of check-in. Reservations are NOT accepted and all campers are encouraged to make payment only after they arrive at the campground and secure a site.
Camping fee structure
*All fees include GST.
|Municipal Park - Sandy Point|
|Municipal Park - Cavan Lake|
|Seasonal (4 Months)|
|Seasonal (5 Months)|
OptionPay is an optional payment method for campers who have found a site and do not want to use cash.
County operated campgrounds
The county has two parks for outdoor activities.
Cavan Lake Recreational Campground is located 18 km east of Medicine Hat on Highway 1, then 5.5 km south on Range Road 40 (4 km of this is gravel surface).
Cavan Lake is an irrigation reservoir supplied with water from spring runoff out of the Cypress Hills. Pedestrian access to the reservoir is explained in the Alberta Environment & Sustainable Resource Development brochure.
- 78 sites (60 with 30 amp power), about half are seasonal
- Fire pits and free firewood
- Playground, horseshoe pits
- Pit toilets (no sani-dump)
- Non-potable water - NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
- Day-use area
- Fishing (stocked with Rainbow Trout), Maximum boat speed 12 km/hr
- No reservations (payment accepted at time of check-in
- Caretaker on-site, phone (403) 979-1788
- Both parks are open for camping from May 1 until September 30.
Camping Fees (GST included)
- No Power - $21.00 per night, $105.00 per week
- Power - $31.50 per night, $173.25 per week for a power site
- No water no sewer hook-ups, no sani-dump.
- Pay by using OptionPay here or by cash only at time of self check in, please have exact payment as change is not available.
More information and seasonal camping site inquiries can be obtained by sending a note to email@example.com or contacting the county office.
Click on photo to see more of Cavan Lake Campground on Flickr.
Click on photo to see more of Sandy Point Park on Flickr.
Sandy Point Park is located approximately 100 km northeast of Medicine Hat, or 27 km north of Hilda, on Highway 41 along the South Saskatchewan River.
- Fire pits with free firewood
- Pull-through sites
- Non-potable water
- Pit toilets
- OptionPay may be used to pay nightly camping fees
- Day-use area